As you can see, we are still learning about the planets in our own Solar System and nobody knows what the other planets in our solar system and beyond might look like.
Here is a fascinating Science Challenge...
Design a planet and create models to show what it might be like on the surface.
It might help with designing your planet if you consider the following....
- A planet orbits a star which can give it light and heat.
- A planet can spin so that it can have night and day.
- A planet can have its own gravity which can hold an atmosphere around it.
- A planets gravity might even capture a moon and keep it in orbit.
- A planet can be struck by meteorites.
- A planet can be made from rocks containing all sorts of special minerals and even precious metals.
- A planet might have a core which is hot or even molten.
All of these things might affect the type of planet it is and what the surface might be like.