The NC History documents are littered with opportunities for D and T activities. There are references to:
- Events which change our lives (inventions, new materials, new ways of doing or making)
- Achievements and follies of mankind (the good side and bad side of technological development)
- Local history (related to famous people? - inventors, inventions and discoveries)
- Stone age to iron age (materials and how we recognize their properties and use them accordingly to make things)
- Travel (transport systems)
Irrespective of the History document it is obvious that our lives change as we are exposed to new materials and inventions and our world or the way we live today is sometimes described as ‘man made’.
The problem as usual is to find an interesting hook which allows us to develop a suitable project which brings out DT skills, knowledge and understanding through designing and making an artefact which, hopefully, can be taken home by the pupils. The project of course must be within a budget and fit into the curriculum appropriately in terms of age etc.